We are hiring!!! Come join a great little training team in far Northern California. The weather is fantastic, the team is smart, fun and cohesive and the animals are just phenomenal! If you want a lot of training and education time with a very diverse group of animals , we are the place for you!
Turtle Bay Exploration Park- ANIMAL TRAINER
Come join us at the best little facility in California! Want to train a badger off leash, take a fox for an off leash walk in the woods or have a caracara go for a stroll down the boardwalk? Well, Turtle Bay Exploration Park is seeking an extraordinary individual interested in becoming part of a small, yet dynamic and innovative training and education team for our Animal Department. Turtle Bay is located on the beautiful Sacramento River in Redding, CA. Our 300-acre campus straddles the Sacramento River and includes a Forest Camp with Animal Center, Museum, Aquarium, and a 220-acre garden and natural oak savannah/arboretum.
The position of Animal Trainer is a full-time, hourly position with benefits (medical/dental/vision/ life) and is responsible for the performance of the on-grounds scripted summer show as well as other informal education programs throughout the year. Responsibilities also include daily care, weighing, preparing diets, training and exhibit maintenance for 82 species of animals including raptors, corvids, psittacines, snakes, turtles, fish, amphibians, porcupine, fox, badger, bobcat, beaver, spotted skunks, and raccoon.
• Provide exemplary care for the animals in residence.
• Work with the Animal Care team of trainers (including other trainers, senior trainers, Asst Curator of Animal Programs and Curator of Animal Programs) on training of the animals for shows and educational programs.
• Be able to perform as a secondary trainer for all animals.
• Be a primary trainer when assigned.
• Perform shows and deliver educational programs on and off grounds to all age groups.
• Follow all husbandry protocols for the animal residents.
• Manage the diets of the animal residents.
• Maintain accurate, detailed daily records for all animals, including weights, diets, vet care, behavior, and training.
• Administering and any veterinary medications and/or minor procedures.
• Maintaining any scheduled health care medications and supplements.
• Work closely with volunteers and provide consistency with the animals.
• Continually develop self in the areas of animal training, husbandry and presentation.
• Maintain a clean and orderly work area.
• Stay current on all required vaccines; including but not limited to tetanus, rabies and Covid-19.
• Other duties assigned by the Curator of Animal Programs
Qualifications for the Animal Trainer include:
Experience/Education: Prefer a minimum of 2 years of experience with professional (non-domestic) animal training, positive reinforcement training techniques, and behavioral enrichment; a degree in biology, zoology, environmental/science education, or a related field, OR
An equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Primary experience with animals in a show environment required.
• SCUBA certification is not required but a plus.
• Experience with recordkeeping.
• Demonstrate knowledge of safe animal handling practices.
• Must be able to bend, kneel and lift 50 pounds.
• Must be able to pass a drug test and background check.
• Available to work weekends and holidays and occasional evenings.
Communication/Interpersonal Skills: Applicant must be outgoing, creative, confident, self-motivated, and work well independently, as well as with others (including adult and teen volunteers). Applicant must have good stage presence and the ability to work in a fast-paced, labor intensive environment.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
• Turtle Bay exploration Park pays all the premiums for: medical, dental, vision and life insurance.
• 401K available after one year with matching contribution from Turtle Bay, up to 3% of salary.
• Employee room rates at the Sheraton Hotel Redding and large discounts at all Marriot properties Worldwide.
• Pay for one membership for professional organization (i.e. ABMA, IAATE, etc.) as well as access to Animal Training Fundamentals training website.
• Free Turtle Bay membership which comes with discounted merchandise at the store, events and about 200 other Museum and Science centers across the Country.
• Generous PTO package available.
• Starting salary $19/hour
E-mail cover letter, resume, and three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org
In addition, a short video clip (no longer than 2 minutes) of you educating with an animal or a link to a show you are in is preferred. The position is open until filled.