Summer 2022 PAID Animal Trainer Internship- TURTLE BAY EXPLORATION PARK
Turtle Bay Exploration Park is currently accepting applications for our newly formed summer internship program. All application materials must be submitted by March 15th, 2022. Summer internships are full time for 3 months. Start dates are flexible but will be around the beginning of May or June.
Turtle Bay Exploration Park Animal Care Interns will be working with the Animal Trainers in daily husbandry, training and show presentation of the animals. Interns will learn proper husbandry of a large variety of species as well as training techniques for both educational and husbandry behaviors. Interns will participate in the summer Walk on the Wild Side animal show presented twice a day along with informal educational programs throughout the Park. Interns will also participate in our walk through lorikeet aviary and our seasonal butterfly house.
Turtle Bay houses 125 animals covering over 60 species including birds, native mammals, reptiles and aquatics. Some examples are raccoon, bobcat, foxes, American badger, raptors, psittacines, and corvids.
Interns will learn and participate in the following:
• Administering medications and/or minor procedures.
• The basics of positive reinforcement training techniques.
• Standard husbandry skills.
• Theater -style educational shows.
• Inquiry based educational programs.
• Safe animal handling practices.
• Fun and engaging public interactions.
• Assisting trainers in maintaining husbandry behaviors.
• Maintaining accurate and detailed daily records.
• Basics of weight monitoring and diet preparations.
• Behavioral enrichment.
• How to read behaviors in a variety of species.
• Basic Aquarium skills including LSS, water quality testing, and basic husbandry.
• Interns will be respectful of all staff and volunteers
• Follow all protocols for the animal residents.
• Interns will take initiative and actively learn at all times.
• Be engaging with the guests.
• To ask thoughtful questions to aid in learning
• Act and dress professionally.
• Willing to listen to feedback.
• Work well both independently and with the team
• Either be in an animal/ biology related degree path or working towards this career.
• Have a valid driver’s license.
• Be able to adapt to a fast-paced and ever changing environment.
• Have excellent communication skills.
• Be able to commit to the full 3 month period, including weekends, holidays, and occasional evenings.
• Be fully COVID-19 vaccinated
• Be able to lift 50lbs, kneel, bend and stand for an entire shift. Must be able to handle the heat in excess of 100 degrees.
How to apply:
Send Cover letter and Resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Note that you will receive an email that your resume was received. If you do not receive that within a week of applying, please send a check-in email.
Compensation: internship wages are $15.50/hour