The Many Ways You Can Get Involved
Why Get Involved?
The International Association of Avian Trainers (IAATE) is an organization for individuals who are active in the field of avian training and who are involved in environmental education programs.
Many of our members are affiliated with a zoo or related park. A significant number are associated with private organizations focusing on public education utilizing birds. Still others work with schools, museums, aquaria, nature centers, rehabilitation centers, and botanical gardens. The majority of our membership is in the USA, but we have members from the UK, Portugal, Australia, Holland, Canada and Mexico, as well as other countries.
IAATE was founded to foster communication, professionalism and cooperation among those individuals who serve Avian Science through training, public display, research, husbandry, conservation, and education.
IAATE provides opportunities through which bird trainers can exchange and disseminate current knowledge, research and other information among themselves in professional and social settings. Our annual conference is usually held in February and papers are presented on a variety of subjects including avian training and husbandry, avian health issues, facility design, show production, presentation skills, etc. The website includes a Forum chat room where ideas on training, husbandry and program presentation topics are discussed.
Benefits to Becoming a Member
- IAATE’s quarterly newsletter, The Flyer, which includes articles on a broad range of subjects relevant to those in the field of avian training and public education or display.
- Discounted rates for IAATE’s annual conference.
- Eligibility to apply for IAATE’s annual awards. The Conservation Award is intended to recognize IAATE members' efforts to promote conservation. Conservation Grants are awarded to facilitate the start-up or continuation of conservation projects. Annual awards are also given for Behavior of the Year, Husbandry Behavior of the Year, Interpretive Behavior of the Year, Enrichment Award, "High Flyer" Award (for best conference paper), as well as awards for our annual Photo Contest.
- Access to the members’ only areas of the IAATE web site. The Member Forum section of the web site provides the opportunity to network with other members about the training and husbandry of education and exhibit birds, as well as job postings and internships. The on line Membership Directory gives you contact information to over 300 members.
- Listing in IAATE’s on-line Business Directory.