Each year at the annual conference IAATE presents a series of awards recognizing significant achievements by its members in several fields. Members may also apply for grant funding for conservation projects with the grant awards being made at the conference. You can check past Awards & Grant winners here.
Deadline, October 1, 2022: Walter Crawford Memorial Scholarship
Deadline January 10, 2023: Conservation Grant Application Submission
Deadline January 10, 2023: Education Grant Application Submission
Deadline January 15, 2023: Behavior Showcase Submission
Deadline January 15, 2023: Photo Contest Submission
WALTER CRAWFORD MEMORIAL SCHOLARSHIP
Have you dreamed of attending our annual conference, but lack the funds to do so? If so, this scholarship might be the answer to your dreams! IAATE will once again award monies to eligible IAATE members to assist in funding attendance of our annual conference. This scholarship fund is limited, it is funded by the proceeds from our conference workshops of the previous year and will be awarded only to applicants who meet eligibility requirements. The recipient of this scholarship will be determined by the IAATE Professional Development Committee. Download the scholarship application form from the link below!
Deadline for application submission for our 2023 conference is October 1, 2022.
Please send completed applications to Professional Development Committee Chair, firstname.lastname@example.org. Download the Walt Crawford Scholarship Application Form
Note: While you must be an IAATE member to apply, there is no minimum membership time requirement. However, preference will be given to applicants who have been a member for more than one year.
IAATE Education Grants are awarded to members to develop and support their programs in achieving their educational goals. The winners will be announced at the Annual Conference Banquet. Attendance at the conference is not a requirement but is encouraged. Supporting materials such as videos and pictures can be included with application.
Download the Education_Grant_Application_2022
IAATE Conservation Grants are open to any individual or organization proposing work that will support the IAATE’s mission. However, projects must be sponsored by, or include a role for, an IAATE member in good standing. Projects being awarded grant funding will be announced at the annual conference Banquet. Attendance at the conference is not a requirement but is encouraged. Supporting materials such as videos and pictures can be included with application.
Download the Conservation_Grant_Application_2020
HIGH FLYER AWARD
This award will be given to the paper that the conference attendees vote as the best. All conference attendees get to vote on their favorite paper; so to have a chance at winning this award all you have to do is present a paper. All presenters for the conference have their papers automatically entered for the High Flyer Award. Note that only papers submitted by the submission deadline are eligible.
Every year the opening day of IAATE’s annual conference kicks off with a celebration of our members’ training successes with the IAATE Behavior Showcase presentation. This video montage sets the stage for a wonderful conference experience with members sharing and learning from each other.
Do you have a training success you would like to share with the attendees of the IAATE annual conference?? Would you like to inspire other facilities to reach new heights in training? During the opening of the general paper session, we will be showing a montage of our members’ proudest guest interactions, husbandry, and show behaviors.
Get your cameras out and capture your team’s achievements. Submissions to the Awards Committee for review will be accepted in the months leading up to the conference each year. The deadline for submission will be January 15, 2023
Please consider the welfare of the bird and the safety of the audience and trainer during the behavior. Please see IAATE Position Statement on best practices in training for reference.
- Record in landscape orientation rather than portrait.
- Format video for the web in Mp4 with h.264 compression.
- Preferably Full HD 1080 (1920×1080), no less than 1280×720
- If you use music in your video, make sure you are using copyright-free music.
- Consider using text overlays on your video to describe behaviors or training for the viewers’ experience rather than dialogue.
The video will be shown during the opening of the conference for all attendees. IAATE will be sharing the videos on social media after the conference so please share materials that are approved by your organization for social media.
NAME YOUR FILE with your institution’s name, following this naming convention: institutionname_behaviorname_IAATE2021.mp4
No spaces or hyphens in filename
We look forward to showcasing and celebrating some of the inspirational and creative accomplishments of our members during the conference.
UPLOAD YOUR VIDEO FILE to this Dropbox and follow submission instructions: BEHAVIOR SHOWCASE VIDEOS
- PHOTO CONTEST
Enter your photos for a chance win prizes! $250 in Amazon.com gift certificates were awarded last year! And see your winning photos in the IAATE Flyer!
Portraits of Birds
Action: Flying, jumping, running, bathing etc.
People and Birds: Birds and trainers in shows, birds and audience members, funny moments with birds, etc.
Left and right 2022 Photo Contest winner – Common Raven (Corvus corax) by Helen Dishaw – and Spring 2022 Flyer cover.
- 2023 Entry Deadline: All entries must be submitted by January 15, 20213 Entries are pre-judged before the conference and presented in a slide show at the banquet. The entry deadline is not flexible, so please plan ahead.
- Contest open to IAATE member photographers only! You must take your own photos to enter. No 2nd party non-member photos please. Selfies are ok.
- AMATEUR photographers only (a professional photographer is defined as making 40% or more of their annual salary from selling photos).
- Entries must be sent emailed as jpegs, send via file sharing or on a USB stick. Please email Kim Caldwell to determine what file sharing method is compatible. The USB stick will only be returned in a self-addressed stamped envelope. Please submit photos of 300dpi or better. You may send images via email as long as they are full size images of 1-3MBs. If you send compressed images by email, the quality may be compromised. We really want these photos to look good in print, so the higher quality is important. Sending photos individually is fine. A return email will be sent to confirm receipt of the photos. If you do not receive a confirmation email, I did not receive the photos.
- No more than 10 entries per individual.
- Photographer grants IAATE permission to use the photos in any IAATE publication, including the IAATE web site. All other rights retained by Photographer.
- Please clean up your photo entries if scanned. Cropping is ok. No modifications will be made to photos for judging once received. Please do not send images larger than 5MB (closed file size). 1-3MB is sufficient.
- Please use the species common name and your own name as the file name: e. Goldeneagle.KimCaldwell.jpg, and Blackcrownedcrane.HelenDishaw.jpg. This will help IAATE with the filing system to access photos in the future for our publications.
All entries must be accompanied by:
- Phone number
- Category of each entry
Mail entries to:
20110 3rd Place
Escondido, CA 92029
or email to Kim Caldwell -KBCaldwell@cox.net